Martin E. Ritholtz retired as Justice of the New York State Supreme Court, effective December 31, 2016, and has joined the firm’s Litigation Group as Special Counsel. He is responsible for handling complex commercial litigation matters on behalf of the firm and is dedicated to the continued expansion of the firm’s commercial litigation practice, both domestically and abroad.
Prior to joining Shiboleth, Judge Ritholtz’s five-decade career has included more than 20 years as a judge, initially with the Civil Court of the City of New York, then with the Supreme Court of Queens County where he has served as a Justice since 2000. During his tenure, Judge Ritholtz has also served as a Commercial Division Justice. In addition to his other judicial duties, Judge Ritholtz supervised the centralized discovery part, dealing with contentious and complex ESI and other discovery issues. Throughout his judicial career, he earned a reputation of resolving cases expeditiously and presided over thousands of jury and non-jury trials.
Early in his career, Judge Ritholtz clerked in Israel while earning his law degree – first in the Justice Ministry, Jerusalem for Meir Gabay, then Deputy Attorney General and Commissioner of Patents and Trademarks; and following, at the firm of S. Horowitz & Co. in Tel Aviv under Dr. Amnon Goldenberg, who served as president of the Israeli Bar.
In April of 1999, Judge Ritholtz was a recipient of the William Goodstein Memorial Award, presented by the Association of Law Secretaries of the City of New York for Distinguished Service to the Judiciary. Judge Ritholtz has served as a lecturer for many colleges and organizations, including, inter alia, the Touro College Law Center, the Queens County Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, The New York State Trial Lawyers Institute, St. Johns University School of Law, and Rutgers University.
- 11-01 36 Ave. LLC v. Quamar, 3d, 2016 WL 6954167, 2016 N.Y. Slip Op. 26388 (Sup. Ct. Queens County 2016)
- Fakiris v. Gusmar Enterprises, LLC, 2016 WL 6882889 (Table), 2016 N.Y. Slip Op. 51665(U)
- Alpha Phi Alpha Senior Citizens’ Ctr., Inc. v. Zeta Zeta Lambda Co., 3d N.Y.S .3d, 2016 WL 5202101, 2016 N.Y. Slip Op. 26296 (Sup. Ct. Queens County 2016)
- Jefferson Apartments, Inc. v. Mauceri, 52 Misc. 3d 1012, 36 N.Y.S.3d 789 (Sup. Ct. Queens County 2016)
- Algu v. Rasiawan, 48 Misc. 3d 1216(A), 2015 WL 4643741, 2015 N.Y. Slip Op. 51146(U)
- BNH Caleb 14 LLC v. Mabry, 11 N.Y.S.3d 844, 2015 N.Y. Slip Op. 25212
- Riesenburger Properties, LLLP v. Pi Associates, L.L.C., 47 Misc. 3d 1224(A), 2015 WL 3456265, 2015 N.Y. Slip Op. 50839(U), reargument and renewal denied, 2015 WL 5929104 (Table), 2015 N.Y. Slip Op. 51493(U)
- Olympic Ice Cream Co., Inc. v. Sussman, 2015 WL 3418043, 2015 N.Y. Slip Op. 50832(U) (Sup Ct. Queens County 2015).
- NY Great Stone Inc. v. Two Fulton Square LLC, 47 Misc. 3d 720 (Sup Ct. Queens County 2015)
- Astoria Equities 200 LLC v. Halletts A Development Co., LLC, 47 Misc. 3d 171 (Sup. Ct. Queens County 2014)
- In re Richard N., 45 Misc. 3d 632, 994 N.Y.S.2d 514 (Sup. Ct. Queens County 2014)
- 150 Centreville, LLC v. Lin Associates Architects, P.C., 39 Misc. 3d 513, 963 N.Y.S.2d 819 (Sup. Ct. Queens County 2013)
- Morano v. Slattery Skanska, Inc.,18 Misc. 3d 464, November 28, 2007
- Bansi v. Flushing Hospital Medical Center, 15 Misc. 3d 215, January 19, 2007
- Borenstein v. Simonson, 8 Misc. 3d 481, March 30, 2005
- Williams v. New Style Limousine, Inc., 1 Misc. 3d 502, November 5, 2003
- Fujah v. V-H Auto Refinishing Corporation, 192 Misc. 2d 170, July 15, 2002
- Elrac, Inc. v. Cruz, 182 Misc. 2d 523, November 4, 1999
- Klein v. Seenauth, 180 Misc. 2d 213, March 25, 1999
- Dollar Rent A Car Systems v. Fishbein, NYLJ, April 22, 1999, p. 32, col. 5
- Rombom v. New York City Transit Authority, 177 Misc. 2d 1043, August 3, 1998
- Santana v. Country – Wide Insurance Company, 177 Misc. 2d 1, May 27, 1998
- Malik v. Cukrowski, 172 Misc. 2d 360, May 8, 1997
- Guzman v. Members America Credit Union, 172 Misc. 2d 192, April 14, 1997.
- Royal Insurance Company of America v.Martyn, NYLJ, March 13, 1997, p. 30, col. 4
- Suffolk Chiropractic Center v. GEICO, 171 Misc. 2d 855, February 7, 1997
- City & Suburban Delivery Systems Inc. v. Green’s Cards & Gifts Inc., 167 Misc. 2d 283, February 29, 1996
- “Techniques for Expediting and Streamlining Litigation,” 4A Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts, chap. 65, pp. 1181-1287 (4th ed. Robert L. Haig Ed. 2015)
- Former Editor of Queens Bar Bulletin – official publication of the Queens County Bar Association
Board Representation and Community Involvement
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Supreme Court Justices Association of the City of New York
- Former Dean of the Queens County Bar Association Academy of Law
- Member of the Columbia College Alumni Secondary Schools Committee
- Past President of the Brandeis Bar Association