Partner Tamir Afori is the Head of Shibolet & Co.’s Intellectual Property Practice. Specializes in IP law and litigation.
With over 20 years’ experience in the field of Intellectual Property Tamir provides strategic legal counseling to both international and local clients from all fields of industry. Tamir has a unique specialty in the field of copyright, having been responsible for preparing and drafting the Israeli copyright act of 2007.
Tamir represents Israeli and foreign clients in complex matters involving all aspects of IP issues before all levels of the court system, including the Supreme Court.
Tamir regularly appears before legislation committees of the Knesset (Israel’s legislature).
Tamir provides ongoing legal and strategic counsel in relation to all fields of IP, including licensing agreements, agreements with copyright collective management organizations, trademark strategy, copyright policies for both users and right holders, advertising agreements and rights clearance, website licensing agreements, open source questions, antitrust and competition aspects of copyright, enforcement procedures (civil and criminal), etc. Among Tamir’s Clients are: international organizations and film companies, high-tech companies (both multi-nationals and start-ups), academic institutes, broadcasting organizations, internet companies, government and municipal entities, cultural institutes, publishers, writers and artists
Tamir occasionally serves as a mediator in IP cases by appointment from courts.
- While working in the Israeli Ministry of Justice – prepared and drafted Israel’s Copyright Act (2007).
- Appeared before Israeli Supreme Court in most of the precedent setting copyright cases of the last two decades, as well as seminal cases in the field of trademarks and patents.
- Represented an organization of film producers before legislation committee of the Knesset with regard to copyright on the internet
- Represented an international organization with respect to the licensing of retransmission by cable and satellite
- Represented a famous international singer-songwriter in proceedings against an Israeli hacker.
- Represented The Hebrew University of Jerusalem in precedent setting cases regarding academic use of parts of books, and regarding contributory infringement.
- Defended military company in a lawsuit involving communication technology of anti-missile system.
- Represented the state of Israel in a multi-million dispute over an invention pertaining to bomb-dismantling.
- Represented an international sports league with respect to internet piracy of sport broadcasts.
- Represented the center for the blind in copyright legislation procedures regarding exemption for people with disabilities.
- Represent various broadcasters and platforms in most of the pending cases in Israel involving royalties for use of music.
- The Compensation Regime in Israel for Private Copying on Blank Cassettes” (forthcoming)
- “Blocking Orders in Israel – Contradictory Decisions in The District Court”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Oxford, 2015
- “Fair Use – Two Drafting Comments”, Haifa Center of Law and Technology (blog), 2015
- “Israel’s New Fair Use Provision”, Intellectual Property Law and Policy (2008), p. 264
- Author: “The Copyright Act” (Nevo Publishing, 2012, Hebrew).
- Co-Author : “Intellectual Property Law in Israel”(Walters Kluwer, 2nd edition 2016, English)
- Adjunct professor at the Faculty of Law at Bar-Ilan University (2012 – current)
- Adjunct professor at the Faculty of Law at Tel Aviv University (2012)
Leading Individual, TMT: Regulatory – Chambers Global
- International Copyright Law conference (2016) – London
- INTA annual conference (2016) – Orlando
- REDA – Regulation and Enforcement in the Digital Era (2015) – Cyprus
- ALAI International Congress (2015) – Bonn
- Max Planck Institute (2015) – Munich
- Fordham Intellectual property conference (2015) – Cambridge UK
- The Measure of IP – IDC Herzliya (2014)
- “Fair Use: the Israeli experience” seminar given in BLACA (2013) – London
- Israel Bar Association
- The Israeli Advanced Technology Industries (IATI)
- The International Trademark Association (INTA)