The Israeli market is characterized by complex and challenging economic regulation. The combination of active regulators, frequent legislative changes, quick administrative and civil enforcement and an active legal system, makes it necessary for corporations operating in the market to be thoroughly familiar, both routinely and at operational crossroads, with the regulatory environment and to establish plans and procedures to confirm compliance by those operating on their behalf. A foreign corporation that intends to operate in the Israeli market must perform a comprehensive regulatory examination in the fields in which it plans to operate. Corporations contemplating mergers, acquisitions or investments or financings and fundraisings of equity or debt, must perform specific regulatory due diligence examinations of the fields of activity relevant to the transactions.
As part of our firm’s interdisciplinary approach we have established a corporate compliance and regulation practice to provide comprehensive solutions to our clients’ needs. Our lawyers find common ground between regulatory requirements and the clients’ needs, while having the added value of being familiar with customary practices, the law and the supervised markets. Our lawyers have developed unique skills in creating corporate compliance plans which on the one hand protect the clients, their directors and employees, and on the other hand, facilitate the business flexibility that is required for optimal and efficient conduct.
The firm accompanies its clients in their ongoing activity vis-à-vis the authorities as well as in providing strategic legal advice in all aspects relating to new regulatory initiatives, including legislation, secondary legislation and regulation.
Our corporate compliance and regulation practice assists our clients in formulating a broad picture of existing or desired regulatory actions and provides advice as to how the regulatory situation impacts its affairs and its representation vis-à-vis the relevant entities, such that aspects relating to its affairs shall already be expressed at the preliminary stages of regulatory actions. The department monitors legislative proceedings, government resolutions and hearings in the field of economic regulation on an ongoing basis and assists in early detection of processes which could potentially impact existing or new clients.
Our corporate compliance and regulation practice assists our clients in establishing compliance plans that meet legislative and regulatory requirements and in comprehensively implementing them, including by preparing tailor-made compliance plans, performing risk and compliance assessments in corporations, trainings and due diligence examinations, accompanying internal investigations and audits, assisting in implementing decisions following the completion of internal investigations and accompanying clients vis-à-vis the authorities and law enforcement entities, if and to the extent necessary.
Our practice conducts compliance examinations and prepares compliance plans in the main regulatory fields that any active corporation encounters. The compliance plans help in identifying and reducing gaps and in significantly reducing the exposure of the corporation and its officers, both on a legal level (criminal, administrative and civil exposures) and on a financial level (fines, legal risks, costs of curing past deficiencies and failures). Often, the mere preparation of a compliance plan constitutes a good defense vis-à-vis legal instances and the regulator and reduces criminal and administrative liability.
On more than one occasion, a compliance plan also improves the corporation’s long term economic, social and environmental results, leads to savings and efficiency, promotes its reputation and also facilitates better dialogue with the authorities.
- Identifying regulation that applies to the corporation as it begins its activity or enters the Israeli market;
- Accompanying the process of obtaining activity permits;
- Representation vis-à-vis governmental authorities;
- Representation and accompaniment in legislative processes at the Israeli parliament (The Knesset) and its committees;
- Drafting bills and regulations;
- Preparation of internal enforcement and compliance plans;
- Ongoing accompaniment of implementation of such plans;
- Preparation of legal opinions;
- Drafting internal procedures;
- Training of directors, officers and other relevant functionaries;
- Representation at legal and administrative instances.
The firm provides solutions in a broad range of matters in a variety of fields of economic regulation, including:
- Antitrust and Competition;
- Employment and Labor Law;
- Privacy Protection and Data Security;
- Anti-Corruption and Bribery;
- Environmental Protection;
- Electricity and Energy;
- Water and Sewage;
- The Israel Institute for Occupational Safety and Hygiene;
- Banking and Finance;
- Anti-Money Laundering;
- Planning and Zoning;
- Security and Defense & Security Procurement;
- Supervision of Defense and Dual-Use Export;
- Autonomous Vehicles;
- Medical Cannabis;
- The Israeli Investment Center (Ministry of Economy and Industry);
- Israel Innovation Authority;
- The Consumer Protection Commissioner;
- The Standards Institution of Israel.