Tamir is the Head of Shibolet & Co.’s Intellectual Property Practice, as well as the Telecom and Media practice.
With over 23 years of experience in the field of Intellectual Property, Tamir provides strategic legal counseling to both international and local clients from all fields of industry. Tamir has a unique specialty in the field of copyright, having been responsible for preparing and drafting the Israeli copyright act of 2007.
Tamir represents Israeli and foreign clients in complex matters involving all aspects of IP issues (including copyright, trademark, patents and design rights) before all levels of the court system, including the Supreme Court.
Tamir regularly appears before legislation committees in the Knesset (Israel’s legislature). He provides ongoing legal and strategic counsel in relation to all fields of IP, including licensing agreements, agreements with copyright collective management organizations, trademark strategy, trademark prosecution and enforcement, copyright policies for both users and right holders, advertising agreements and rights clearance, website licensing agreements, open source questions, antitrust and competition aspects of copyright, enforcement procedures (civil and criminal), etc.
Among Tamir’s clients are international organizations and film companies, high-tech companies (both multi-nationals and start-ups), academic institutes, internet companies, government and municipal entities, cultural institutes, publishers, writers and artists. Tamir occasionally serves as a mediator and arbitrator in IP cases by appointment from courts.
Tamir’s practice in the Telecom and Media field includes representation and legal advice to many of Israel’s broadcasting entities, including Commercial TV, commercial radio stations, multi-channel platforms, specific channels (both local and international), sport broadcasters, and international OTT services. Tamir represents some of the world leading TV producers in their acquisitions in Israel.
Did you know
Tamir is skilled at playing guitar, piano, and a few other musical instruments and occasionally hosts radio programs.
- Leading Individual, TMT: Telecoms, Media & Broadcasting, Chambers Global
- “He is a pro. He knows what he is doing and is very knowledgeable.”, Chambers Global
- Key Figure, Telecoms & Media, Legal 500
- “Tamir Afori has exceptional in-depth knowledge of IP law and is very experienced in all litigation proceedings in this field”, Legal 500
- “The Copyright Act” (textbook), Nevo Publishing, 2012, Hebrew.
- Co-Author : “Intellectual Property Law in Israel”, Walters Kluwer, 2nd edition 2016, English
- “The Compensation Regime in Israel for Private Copying on Blank Cassettes” (ALAI)
- “Blocking Orders in Israel – Contradictory Decisions in The District Court”, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Oxford, 2015
- “Fair Use – Two Drafting Comments”, Haifa Center of Law and Technology (blog), 2015
- “Israel’s New Fair Use Provision”, Intellectual Property Law and Policy (Fordham 2008), p. 264
- Have taught as an adjunct professor at the Faculty of Law at Bar-Ilan University.
- Have taught as an adjunct professor at the Faculty of Law at Tel Aviv University.