A founding partner of Shibolet & Co., Richard was, until recently, a senior member of the firm’s Management Committee and the co-head of Corporate, M&A and Private Equity. Richard serves as a member of the firm’s compensation committee.
Richard is one of Israel’s pre-eminent legal practitioners, with particular expertise in high-end, cross-border work. Richard is well-known for his “deal-making” capabilities; such as (i) representing Ratio Guyana Limited in a Farmout agreement with Esso Exploration and Production Guyana Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of ExxonMobil; (ii) organizing the Capital Nature consortium that included Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd., Elbit Systems Ltd., and Ormat Technologies Inc., in addition to a group of corporate investors, to win the bid to establish a government-funded research center in the Arava for renewable energy projects; (iii) representing Sun Bat Yam LLC in negotiating and drafting hotel management agreements with two international hotel chains; and (iv) arranging Siemens Project Ventures’ $15 million investment in Global Sun Israel, Israel’s leading solar energy developer.
Richard has over 45 years experience in M&A, Corporate, Regulatory and Banking matters. A pioneering legal expert, initially in hi-tech and subsequently in cleantech and agritech, Richard is at the forefront in the development of R&D laws and regulations and was a key advisor to Israel’s Chief Scientist of the Ministry of Economy. He was deeply involved in the establishment and operation of the Technological Incubator Program of the Office of the Chief Scientist.
Richard serves as a member of the National Committee for Academy – Industry Relations, a subcommittee of the Israel National Council for R&D, charged with developing a national policy for improving knowledge transfer between research institutions and industry, especially in context of management and utilization of the Intellectual Property generated by research institutions, operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Science and Technology.
Richard’s aim is to continue Shibolet & Co.’s strong focus on client service across all practice areas, as well as to develop new and emerging areas of practice.
- “A top-level operator and excellent strategist.” – Chambers Global
- “Richard Roberts heads a team which is ‘serious, hard-working and very pleasant’ that has a strong focus on New York and US-related international work” – Legal 500
- “Endorsed by a number of market sources for his transactional dexterity and cross-border expertise” – PLC Which Lawyer?
- Leading Individual, M&A – PLC Which Lawyer?
- Member of the National Committee for Academy – Industry Relations, a subcommittee of the Israel National Council for Research and Development;
- Served on the Board of Directors of Israel Discount Bank, Israel’s third largest bank (2010-2015);
- Served on the Board of Directors of Bank Hapoalim, Israel’s largest bank (1997 to 2003).
- Chairman of the executive committee of Shiur Acher (A Different Lesson), a non-profit organization involved in educating underprivileged children and arranging volunteers from the hi-tech sector to serve as teachers’ assistants teaching 5-units of Mathematics to high school students;
- Honorary Company Secretary for Ramat Hadassah and Kiryat Yearim Youth Villages, that operate boarding schools for seventh to twelfth graders from underprivileged families;
- Honorary legal advisor of The Spirit of Israel – the United Israel Appeal, a non=profit organization supporting children at risk. Richard was the 2016 Recipient of the Spirit of Israel Award in Memory of Ehud Manor for an exceptional volunteer spirit ;
- Honorary legal advisor of Keren Shemesh, a non-profit organization providing mentoring and financial assistance to young entrepreneurs.
- Honorary legal advisor to Youth Villages For Advancement and Excellence Ltd., a non-profit organization that provides financial and management support to youth villages in Israel;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Hillel Israel;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Interdisciplinary Center’s (IDC) commercial arm;
- Member of the advisory Board of “The Hive” at Gvahim, an Accelerator for new Olim;
- Mentor of Hebrew University Law School graduates seeking their way in practicing law.