Richard, a.k.a Richy, is one of the founders of Shibolet and one of Israel’s pre-eminent legal practitioners, with particular expertise in high-end, cross-border work. Richy is well-known for his “deal-making” capabilities; such as (i) representing Ratio Guyana Limited in a Farmout agreement with Esso Exploration and Production Guyana Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of ExxonMobil; (ii) Representing GMM Capital LLC in a series of transactions to acquire the controlling interest in Delta-Galil Industries; (iii) organizing the Capital Nature consortium that included Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd., Elbit Systems Ltd., and Ormat Technologies Inc., in addition to a group of corporate investors, to establish a government-funded research center in the Arava for renewable energy projects; (iv) representing Sun Bat Yam LLC in negotiating and drafting hotel management agreements with Starwood and Accor; and (v) arranging Siemens Project Ventures’ $15 million investment in Global Sun Israel, Israel’s leading solar energy developer.
Richy has 50 years’ experience in M&A, Corporate, Regulatory and Banking matters. A pioneering legal expert, initially in hi-tech and subsequently in cleantech and agritech, Richy is at the forefront in the development of R&D laws and regulations and was a key advisor to Israel’s Chief Scientist of the Ministry of Economy. He was deeply involved in the establishment and operation of the Technological Incubator Program of the Office of the Chief Scientist.
Richy’s aim is to continue Shibolet & Co.’s strong focus on client service across all practice areas, as well as to develop new and emerging areas of practice.
Did you know
- Richy stays healthy swimming, stays sharp reading and enjoys travelling.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Hillel Israel.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Interdisciplinary Center’s (IDC) commercial arm.
- Chairman of the executive committee of Shiur Acher (A Different Lesson), a non-profit organization involved in educating underprivileged children.
- Honorary Company Secretary for Ramat Hadassah, Kiryat Yearim and Hadassah Neurim Youth Villages, that operate boarding schools for seventh to twelfth graders from underprivileged families.
- Honorary legal advisor of The Spirit of Israel. Richard was the 2016 Recipient of the Spirit of Israel Award in Memory of Ehud Manor for an exceptional volunteer spirit.
- Honorary legal advisor of Keren Shemesh, a non-profit organization providing mentoring and financial assistance to young entrepreneurs.
- Member of the advisory Board of “The Hive” at Gvahim, an Accelerator for new Olim.
- Mentor of Hebrew University Law School graduates seeking their way in practicing law.
- Member of the National Committee for Academy – Industry Relations, a subcommittee of the Israel National Council for Research and Development.
- “A top-level operator and excellent strategist”, Chambers Global
- “Richard Roberts heads a team which is ‘serious, hard-working and very pleasant’ that has a strong focus on New York and US-related international work”, Legal 500
- Highly regarded, IFLR1000
- “Endorsed by a number of market sources for his transactional dexterity and cross-border expertise”, PLC Which Lawyer?
- Leading Individual, M&A, PLC Which Lawyer?
- Served on the Board of Directors of Israel Discount Bank, Israel’s third largest bank (2010-2015).
- Served on the Board of Directors of Bank Hapoalim, Israel’s largest bank (1997 to 2003).
- Member of the executive committee of DocAviv, Tel Aviv’s documentary film festival (2000-2013).
- CISV, Tel Aviv Chapter Chairman (1997- 2005) and CISV International External Relations Committee Chairman (2000-2006).